Here's what I learned from the comments:
- Parsing and verifying hex, octal and decimal numbers...: Several commenters pointed out that I should have used Long#decode(String) and therefore I adjusted the blog entry (and my code ;-).
- Am I the only person having problems with the update manager? The answer is clearly: no!
- Eclipse was hanging my machine regularly -- solution -XX:MaxPermSize=128m Surya asked if the -XX:MaxPermSize=128m can be put into the eclipse.ini files: the answer is yes.
- Why is super.super illegal? is the most debated. Lots of good reasons why super.super is illegal -- but from practical point of view it is annoying...
- I hate ClassCastExceptions...Marco said its fixed in 1.5 (ClassCastException is reporting the actual type of the object). I just made a test and it is true: even if compiled with 1.4 and run with 1.5 I see the ClassCastException reporting the type. I'm a bit puzzled why I don't see it in my applications -- I thought I'm using a 1.5 jre.
- How to setup some plugins to use java 1.5 in a java 1.4 workspace? Neil Bartlett pointed out that step 3 (Setting the execution environment in the build path to J2SE-1.5) is not needed. I tested it and it is needed. Le ScaL pointed me to an article on execution environment in the eclipse wiki.
- Update manager battle: the players Yoxos - YUM - eclipse... Wassim Melhem asks why I like yoxos though I have not seen it in action. Hmm, maybe I'm biased because its German and I know the guys or maybe because I spent some money on it and therefore it "has to be good" ;-). I hope to see an update soon....
- How far are the hotels from the eclipse summit October 11-12 2006 in Esslingen/Stuttgart Germany? Gerd Castan suggested to search search hotel.de. Good idea!